Thursday, May 06, 2010

Problem with the proprietary Nvidia driver

The reason why my ubuntu 10.04 box cannot shutdown is the proprietary nvidia driver. I learned this the hard way: I backed up all my data and wiped out my existing installation and installed a fresh new copy, and experimented step by step. I was able to replicate the problem when I enabled the proprietary driver, and the problem when away when I disabled it.

Although I cannot enable the desktop effects, at least I have a stable and efficient computational environment now.

-------------------------------- May 8 ----------------------------------------------

This is not true. The problem with shutdown is caused by OpenOffice quick starter program, not the proprietary Nvidia driver. After enabling the driver, 1) boot-up time increased from 20s to 25s, 2) Emacs fonts increased several fold.

No comments:

Counter