Monday, February 28, 2011

Rstudio

Rstudio, an open source cross-platform IDE for R, seems to be really attractive. It probably will not drag me away from Emacs, but having more options is always a good thing.

The only downside of it is that it automatically installs R from the Ubuntu software repository, even though I have already had a manually compiled version installed on the system. It will be better if Rstudio does not try to install a version of R as default but gives the choice to the user.

I think this IDE is an excellent choice for teaching purpose: by now the only reason I am hesitating to teach my students using R as opposed to other statistical package is the lack of a "modern" IDE. I mean, Emacs + ESS suites me just fine, but I cannot imagine what will happen if I try to make my undergraduate students learn to do this on their Windows machine!

After a few tweaks, and many thanks to the guys working on Rstudio, I was able to compile and install the source distribution.

Commands used:

  1. git clone git@github.com:rstudio/rstudio.git
  2. git submodule update --init --recursive
  3. cmake -DRSTUDIO_TARGET=Desktop -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
  4. sudo make install

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For teaching you can also consider Deducer / JGR. See www.deducer.org and www.rforge.net/JGR

Counter