Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Compiling aML under Ubuntu 7.04, again!

I decided to give to it another try. I wrote to Stan, reporting the problem I had when trying to compiling aML on my Ubuntu 7.04 box. He pointed it out that it is likely to be a bug in the compiler. Then I ask myself: why not try a different compiler?

Some google search shows that alternative FORTRAN 77 under linux includes PGI, Intel, Absoft, among others. PGI offers 30 days trial, so I decided to give it a try. The pgf77 generates correct binary for "aml", "bigaml", and "hugeaml", but it creates problems for "mktab", a utility to create tabular results out of aML output files. I need to re-compile this utility using the old g77 compiler.

In short, an easy solution to the problem will be to use pgf77 to generate the main binaries and to use the g77 to generate the auxiliary binaries, then put them together in one place (in the system path).

I have checked using both the provided samples and my own data, so far so good.

No comments:

Counter